Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cream of Broccoli Soup like Kneaders


Cream of Broccoli cheesy soup like Kneaders ...well except I added bacon (meat candy) :D 
We have a fun little bakery/ sandwich shop in the Salt Lake City area called Kneaders. They make the most delicious artisan breads, soups and rich desserts, not to mention their hand pulled turkey and avocado sandwiches on focaccia bread.
Turkey Avocado Kneaders sandwich on Focaccia  bread 
 I dream about those sandwiches sometimes. And their cupcakes, cheesecakes and cream puffs are divine. Just look at their yummy selections! My daughter spoiled me on my birthday with a 4 pack of cupcakes in 4 flavors. It was such a yummy treat!
Kneaders is one of my favorite lunch spots in the Salt Lake valley. 
Anyway we had lunch there the other day and I had a combination soup and sandwich plate that included a yummy cream of broccoli soup. I think it is my hub's favorite soup. He loved it so much I went home that night and tried recreating it. I think it is pretty darn close! We both loved it.
Here is my recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup

2 cups of frozen broccoli florets
1/2 pint cream 
1/2 cube butter (use it to fry up onions with some olive oil)
1/2 medium onion (or more) diced
2 stalks celery finely diced
2 cups milk 
A cup or so of water added (I just add till I like the consistency)
2-3 tablespoons flour
1/2 to 3/4 cup mashed potato flakes to thicken
1/2 cup finely grated cheese of your choice
3 bacon pieces microwaved and crumbled crispy
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Johnny's Season Salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
pepper to taste
Broccoli Cheese soup on a cold, snowy day is the very BEST treat! 
I start all my soups by dicing the onion up in a fry pan with a little olive oil mixed with some butter. Then when they are caramelized I add the flour and a little milk to make a roux or a flour gravy. Keep adding milk a bit at a time till you have a thin white sauce. Then I add the diced celery, the broccoli florets, and milk.
Just steam your broccoli for 3 minutes in the microwave covered with plastic wrap. 

 After letting that all simmer for 5 to 7 minutes I add some water and potato flakes to get my perfect consistency that I prefer. Then I add seasonings, tasting as I go. I crumbled up 3 pieces of microwaved bacon into the soup when serving.  Cheese is added last. I think I used a mixture of grated jack and cheddar in one of those 1 cup bags you buy at Walmart...so convenient!

I learned how to make easy 30 minute french baguettes bread from the FOOD NANNY! 
The French Baguettes recipe and tutorial are on another WEEKDAY CHEF post. They are so easy you won't believe it. And they are hot and crusty and yummy and No FAT! well.....except all that butter I slathered on after they were hot from the oven!! 

French Baguettes go great with hot, creamy Cream of Broccoli  soup! 

Anyway, it took all of 20 minutes to make this soup. I did microwave the broccoli in a little bowl with a bit of water and some plastic wrap over it for 3 minutes first so it was semi steamed before I dumped it in the pan.
Here is my finished broccoli cheese soup like Kneaders.  I added a few slices of crispy bacon crumbled up and some croutons...
I served the soup with some homemade garlic croutons (just buttered bread sprinkled with Johnny's garlic seasoning and cut up then toasted in the oven) and some mozzerella cheese grated over top for fun. It was delicious!
Creamy Broccoli Cheese soup with bacon added.....yummo! 
 Hot, creamy soup is always a winter winner. Try it in a bread bowl. Jamie Cooks it up has a great recipe for breadbowls  HERE that always turn out pretty and yummy.
Here they are hot out of the oven made by my daughter Tiffany for my birthday dinner. She's a good cook too! 
Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup is perfect for a freezing, snowy day to curl up in a big quilt by the fire and sip while watching all the junk on my DVR! And even better in a bread bowl or with some hot french bread. mmmm.....yeah, I want some now!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!! This looks super yummy. Can't wait to try it!
Debbie McEwen

Unknown said...

Oh you are so sweet Debbie! Thank you! I love looking at your pinterest stuff! We are kindred spirits!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...