- 1 box (1 pound box or bag) Rosa Marina pasta, OR orzo pasta
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1 jar (8 ounces) maraschino cherries
- 2 cans (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 container (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
|Frog Eye Salad is called all sorts of names....I don't know why. I guess it's because the tiny pasta it is made from makes it look like little eyes?|
I start by making the custard. You use the juice from the pineapple and the Mandarin oranges and mix it with the eggs, the flour, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan on medium heat. Do not use the juice of the Maraschino cherries. When the custard starts to come to a boi thicken up (about 10 minutes), take it off the heat and put it in a bowl and chill it in the fridge for a few hours.
|The egg custard for the Frog Eye Salad|
When it is done, just dump in all the drained fruits (retaining about 8 of the cherries for a garnish on top), then mix the fruits with the custard and a regular container of Cool Whip, and put it into a large, pretty bowl. I top mine with about 8 of the Maraschino cherries just for presentation.
|Try Frog Eye Salad for your next dinner party. It feeds an army of people! And everybody always loves it.|